Being single on Valentines Day doesn’t ever really bother me because my birthday comes three days later. (Although in my childhood birthday photo, I look like I had a little too much cake and ice cream)
Yes, I have officially entered The Birthday Season. This business of just celebrating on ONE DAY is so lame. One’s birthday needs to be padded with several days of celebration.
This year though I am not just celebrating my birthday. After finishing her book Zami: A New Spelling of My Name, I fell hard for Audre Lorde. What a mind, what a heart, what a woman. Her birthday is February 18 and had she survived breast cancer, she would be 73 this on Sunday.
Here are some quotes by Audre Lorde:
- “If I didn’t define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people’s fantasies for me and eaten alive.”
- “When I dare to be powerful – to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid”
- “The quality of light by which we scrutinize our lives has direct bearing upon the product which we live, and upon the changes which we hope to bring about through those lives.”
- “The learning process is something you can incite, literally incite, like a riot.”
- “As we come to know, accept, and explore our feelings, they will become sanctuaries and fortresses and spawning grounds for the most radical and daring of ideas-the house of difference so necessary to change and the conceptualization of any meaningful action.”