In this past year having spent loads of time with my Italian-American family in New York, I have come to some conclusions about our similarities to JRR Tolkein’s Hobbits.
You are either a hobbit or an Italian-American if you…
- Eat more than six meals a day
- Feel shorter than most people on earth (and Middle Earth)
- Have a large extended family and everyone practically lives on top of each other
- Feel obligated to invite your entire extended family to every family gathering (even if most of them drive you batty).
- Often are mistaken for a dwarf
- Never are mistaken for an elf
- Look to men in flowing robes for spiritual advice
- Have a thing for rings
- Live long and tell good stories.
- Have a distinctive name. (My Hobbit name is Hambut Proudfoot)
- Are into designer clothing (elfin or Zegna will both do)
- Have an inordinate amount of hair growing on your toes and out your ears